Every year new coloring supplies come into the market and in 2021 these were the most popular & purchased items by the Coloring Book Addict Fans. They aren’t necessarily my preferred / recommended supplies so I have editorialized the list below. I’ve listed the top 10 coloring supplies in a few categories below.
Top Colored Pencils
- Prismacolor Colored Pencils 72 Colors – Probably my favorite too. Prismacolor Colored Pencils various sizes
- Crayola Colored Pencils 50 Colors ( recommend Marco Raffines over these for pigmentation and blending)
- Castle Art Colored Pencils ( I haven’t heard of them but they have amazing Amazon reviews and a low price)
- Marco Raffine – 72 Colors (These are my favorite budget pencils)
- Sargeant Art Pencils 50 Pack
- Lyra Rembrandt 72 Colors
- Faber Castell 120 Colors – Tons of pigment in these color sticks they rank neck & neck with the Prisma’s for me.
- Staedtler Ergosoft Pencils (Johanna Basford’s favorites)
- Faber Castell Polychromos Artist Pencils 60 count
- Luminance Colored Pencils – the most amazing pencils money can buy, lightfast, creamy dreamy, uber-expensive buy oh my what a treat. I have a small set and adore them. I also use them in my mixed media art.
Top Coloring Gel Pens
- Color-it Gel Pens – These were a new supply for me in 2020 but WOW what a punch of glittery shimmery perfect color in my books. Plus the pack they come in is just fantastic.
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pens – Big box of 72 – a long time favorite of mine, particularly the sparkly set, you all know I can’t live without the clear sparkle pens that you can use over your pencils or marker marks.
- Uniball Signo White Pen in Bold – invaluable for making white highlights and other special features in your coloring.
- Reaeon Gel Pens – a set of 100 with 100 refills – 28 Glitter, 18 Metallic, 16 Neon, 15 Pastel, 14 Neon-Glitter, 6 Swirl, 3 Classic
- Tanmit Gel Pens set of 100 with 100 refills
- Gel Pens – a small set of 30
- Glitter Gel Pens, 100 Color
- Arteza Gel Pens, set of 60
- Shuttle Art Gel Pens, set of 180 with 180 refills
- Fiskars 48 Gel Pens
Most Popular Markers
- Staedtler Fine Tips Markers – These are really the only markers I use in my books. Always recommended by our Queen Johanna Basford and still the best. They are bright, never bleed and come in enough colors (36) to keep me happy.
- Pentel Markers set of 36
- Staedtler Triplus Fineliner Pens – My go-to for fine liner pens in my books, another favorite of Johannas.
- Dual Tip Brush Marker Pens by Tanmit
- Dual Tip Art Marker Pens Fine Point Journal Pens & Colored Brush Markers
- iBayam Journal Planner Pens
- Arteza Real Brush Pens
- Ohuhu 40-color Alcohol Markers – Reminder! Alcohol markers bleed through paper so these should only be used on one-sided images with a barrier behind your coloring page
- BIC Intensity Fashion Permanent Markers
Most Popular Pencil Sharpeners
- Prismacolor Sharpener
- Staedtler Sharpener
- Kum 2 Hole Pencil Sharpener – This is my favorite, yes it’s a bit more expensive perhaps but it works on every pencil and never breaks them. Any of the Kum sharpeners are fantastic.
- Staedtler 512 001 ST Double-hole Tub Pencil Sharpener – this is my preferred Staedtler sharpener particularly if you have the ergosoft pencils.
- Faber-Castell Grip Trio Pencil Sharpener
Other Popular Coloring Supplies
- Derwent Blender Burnisher Set
- Mungyo Square Chalk, Soft Pastels for Backgrounds
- White Posca Pens – Fabulous option for white details in your coloring pages