Every year new coloring supplies come into the market and these were the most popular & purchased items by the Coloring Book Addict Fans this year. They aren’t necessarily my preferred / recommended supplies so I have editorialized the list below. I’ve listed the top 10 coloring supplies in a few categories below.
I recommend checking out your fine art supply options at Dick Blick’s. You can get single colors of almost any coloring item and the prices are often better or more competitive than on Amazon. If you have an issue with an order, there’s a real person to talk to since it’s a small business. They often offer free shipping but it’s always free on orders over $69.00.
Top Colored Pencils
- Prismacolor Colored Pencils 72 Colors – Probably my favorite too. Prismacolor Colored Pencils of various sizes Order on Dick Blick in any size including individual pencils to try. I recommend buying one of the mid-size sets and filling in with individual pencils in colors you use a lot.
- Crayola Colored Pencils 50 Colors ( recommend Marco Raffines over these for pigmentation and blending) Check price at Blicks
- Castle Art Colored Pencils ( I haven’t used them but they have amazing Amazon reviews and a low price)
- Marco Raffine – 72 Colors (These are my favorite budget pencils)
- Sargeant Art Pencils 50 Pack
- Lyra Rembrandt 72 Colors These are like creamy crayons. Blicks has several options
- Faber Castell 120 Colors – Tons of pigment in these color sticks rank neck & neck with the Prisma’s for me. My other Go To Check Price at Blick’s You can also get individual pencils there.
- Staedtler Ergosoft Pencils (Johanna Basford’s favorites)
- Faber Castell Polychromos Artist Pencils 60 count Check Price at Blick’s You can also get individual pencils at Blick’s.
- Luminance Colored Pencils – the most amazing pencils money can buy, lightfast, creamy dreamy, uber-expensive buy oh my what a treat. I have a small set and adore them. I also use them in my mixed media art. Check out competitive pricing at Dick Blick’s
Top Coloring Gel Pens
- Color-it Gel Pens – These were a new supply for me in 2020 but WOW what a punch of glittery shimmery perfect color in my books. Plus the pack they come in is just fantastic.
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pens – Big box of 72 – a long-time favorite of mine, particularly the sparkly set, you all know I can’t live without the clear sparkle pens that you can use over your pencils or marker marks. Check Price at Blicks
- Uniball Signo White Pen in Bold – invaluable for making white highlights and other special features in your coloring and also in any artwork where you want to write over the top of other mediums. Dick Blick’s offer bulk pricing on orders over 3.
- Reaeon Gel Pens – a set of 100 with 100 refills – 28 Glitter, 18 Metallic, 16 Neon, 15 Pastel, 14 Neon-Glitter, 6 Swirl, 3 Classic
- Tanmit Gel Pens set of 100 with 100 refills
- Gel Pens – a small set of 30
- Glitter Gel Pens, 100 Color
- Arteza Gel Pens, set of 60
- Shuttle Art Gel Pens, set of 180 with 180 refills
- Fiskars 48 Gel Pens Check Pricing at Dick Blick’s
Most Popular Markers
- Staedtler Fine Tips Markers – These are really the only markers I use in my books. Always recommended by our Queen Johanna Basford and still the best. They are bright, never bleed and come in enough colors (36) to keep me happy. Lots of options at Dick Blick’s
- Pentel Markers set of 36 Check Blick’s for size options and to order individual colors.
- Staedtler Triplus Fineliner Pens – My go-to for fine liner pens in my books, another favorite of Johannas. Check Blick’s for Pricing
- Dual Tip Brush Marker Pens by Tanmit
- Dual Tip Art Marker Pens Fine Point Journal Pens & Colored Brush Markers
- iBayam Journal Planner Pens
- Arteza Real Brush Pens
- Ohuhu 40-color Alcohol Markers – Reminder! Alcohol markers bleed through paper so these should only be used on one-sided images with a barrier behind your coloring page
- BIC Intensity Fashion Permanent Markers – Lots of options at Blick’s
Most Popular Pencil Sharpeners
- Prismacolor Sharpener – I do NOT recommend this one but I imagine the name sells it. Incredibly hard to open to empty and it doesn’t sharpen nearly as well as others. Price at Blick’s
- Staedtler Sharpener
- Kum 2 Hole Pencil Sharpener – This is my favorite, yes it’s a bit more expensive perhaps but it works on every pencil and never breaks them. Any of the Kum sharpeners are fantastic. Lots of options at Blick’s
- Staedtler 512 001 ST Double-hole Tub Pencil Sharpener – this is my preferred Staedtler sharpener particularly if you have ergosoft pencils.
- Faber-Castell Grip Trio Pencil Sharpener – Price at Blick’s
Other Popular Coloring Supplies
- Derwent Blender Burnisher Set
- Mungyo Square Chalk, Soft Pastels for Backgrounds
- White Posca Pens – Fabulous option for white details in your coloring pages